Sunday, December 6, 2009

Quick, name where Alcorn State is...

So I was looking over the basketball schedule of my beloved University of Kansas Jayhawks (although you might be confused by my colleagues several jabs at my following of the Golden Bears. I'm actually a fan of several colleges, Cal from my mother's side of the family, my grandpa worked there, and University of Kansas from my dad's side of the family, who are all from Kansas. And to make it all the more confusing, I didn't graduate from either.) and stumbled upon the score line that took place on December 2nd.
Alcorn State Braves- 31
Kansas Jayhawks- 98
How does that happen? There are so many facts from this game that are mind boggling that I feel i need to point out. First of all, It took the braves 15 minutes to get into double digits. I've literally grown beards in less time. At one point in the game, Alcorn State didn't score for seven minutes (at least the jayhawks did something during that time, scoring 37). This is boys playing against men or the nets playing against any other NBA team. Another thing I don't understand about this game, Alcorn State player Keith Searcy fouled out during this game. How does one foul out in this sort of a game? Without seeing this game, I'd assume that Alcorn State players were simply letting jayhawks run directly past them, while giving them a "good game" when they pass.
But I have to ask my dear jayhawks a question, why do you schedule this game? what's the point? Alcorn State isn't some sleeper that's just having a bad year. They've been bad for awhile. In the past ten years, they gotten to 10 win's 4 times. They haven't appoached a winning record since 2000. Last year they played two teams I've never even heard of and one I can't even guess how to prononce (William Carey and Tougaloo). Arkansas dropped 130 points on them earlier this year. I can't imagine that this gives your team confidence. It did give the guy at the end of Kansas's bench confidence that Bill Self still rembers his name (and on a side note, how low would your self esteem be if your you're a junior guard at KU and you only played 4 minutes? With 4 minutes left KU was up by 63, you could have put in George Jefferson and I in you still would have won by 40). In the long run, this game will probably lower your RPI, by a lot. This game only served to pad the stat's of the guard that's fifth on the depth chart (I'm talking about you Jordan Juenemann). Games like this don't give your trash minute dwellers any experience because there is no resemblance to a real game. Beat down Missouri or Nebraska and I'll be proud of you. Beat down Alcorn State (or the upcoming game against Radford) and I feel like I'm Nelson from the Simpson's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

- If you were Keith Searcy, would you want to be a part of that game? Didn't think so

- Since the primary factor of RPI is wins and losses, any loss (even vs. a good team) is worse than any win (even vs. a terrible team), so that's why Kansas took the game

- The reason Alcorn State took the game? Because Kansas paid them to

Anonymous said...

Lorman, MS