Friday, December 4, 2009

Knee Jerk Draw Reactions

So I've gotten to digest the draw for a couple hours and here are my not very well researched, immediate reactions:
  • The draw seemed pretty fair to most (as long as you don't speak portugese). Every group seems to have the one favorite, the one team that probably will advance and then two teams most people will count out (see groups A, C, D, E, F and H).
  • Can we start an online petition to require both teams to wear wooden boots for the Denmark vs. Netherlands fixture?
  • Did Charlize Theron seemed a little high to anybody else?
  • Game's I'm most excited to watch: Argentina vs. Greece, can Maradona figure out how to coach a soccer team and unpark the bus that Greece will have parallel parked in front of the goal? America vs. England, can we get those goofy guys who dress up like minutemen for New England Revolution games to travel? Brazil vs. Ivory Coast, Drogba (who is both in form and becoming strangly likable) and Kalou going against Kaka and Luis Fabiano, that's gonna be a good game.
  • Team's I think are gonna disappoint: I'm gonna go out on a "lamb" here and say that Germany is gonna be surprised. I think that Ghana and Serbia are underrated. Also, Germany was largely helped by playing at home in 2006. I think the Ivory Coast is gonna move on, probably surprising Portugal. I'm not sold on Ronaldo's ability to show up on international duty.
  • The US needs to figure out who are gonna be playing outside backs. I get a sick feeling in my stomach thinking of joe cole, ashley cole and theo walcott running at jonathan bornstein and steve cherundolo. Paging Senor Edgar.
  • My sleeper: I think Honduras are going to surprise and advance. I think they underacheived in qualifying and central american venues are good preperation for world cup's.
  • My world cup betting tip: Always pick the team with the most connections to Sven Ericksson.... unless its mexico, then pick the other team.
I'll probably think of some other thoughts later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Charlize was indeed smokin'. Too bad she was visibly fidgity with Beckham next to her.
2) All team's in native costume should be granted a goal to start the match...including the Dutch (and 2 goals if they construct a windmill and a dike within 90 minutes)
3) Charlize was still hot.

Anonymous said...

agreed, wooden boots are underrated